High-Speed Cell Sorter Biosafety and Containment Testing
December 18, 2019
Geoffrey Lyon, M.P.H.
Yale Flow Cytometry Facility Manager/BSL-3 Sort Operator
Yale University School of Medicine
About the Presenter
• Yale University Flow Cytometry Facility, 2003-present
• ISAC Biosafety Committee Member, 2015-present
• ABSA International Course Presenter; 2012,2014, 2019
• Yale BSL-3 Subcommittee Member
• BSL-3 Certified Researcher and Trainer
• Discovered cell sorter AMS filter failures
This webinar explores the various biosafety aspects of high-speed cell sorting. The emphasis of this presentation is the evolution and development of aerosol containment testing, including the new ISAC standard that uses a novel impactor and microspheres to test containment. This new assay can be utilized to test sorters housed inside or outside of a biosafety cabinet.
- Examine the hazards and risks associated with cell sorting along with a detailed explanation of the latest containment testing method after this webinar.
- Describe how to implement the new testing method into existing safety protocols to ensure cells sorters have adequate aerosol containment.
Who Should Attend
Anyone who uses high-speed cell sorters, sort operators, health and safety professionals, or anyone interested in biosafety.